And below is a short review for each:
It is arguably one of the best e Commerce sites since it has everything you need to create and manage your site. There are currently more than 800,000 online stores on Shopify, so you know that this builder won’t disappoint you.
The user interface in Shopify is so simple that you don’t need any prior experience to navigate. Creating your pages is simple thanks to the drag and drop feature. You can create any number of pages that you need for your store without limitation. You can also access hundreds of beautiful themes to suit your store from the site. Many of these options are free, so you don’t need to pay extra although there are a few paid ones.
Shopify gives you a straightforward way to manage your store by giving you all the tools you need for that. The best thing about it is that it is not only a building an eCommerce website, but you can host your site, so it is an all in one store.
It allows you to sell your products through multiple social media and other best eCommerce platforms. The best part is that you are provided with all accounting, payment, and shipping options to make it easier. If you choose to use Shopify’s payment and shipping solutions, you save yourself 2% extra charges.
Unfortunately, this 2% charge on every sale can cost you a lot of money in the long run, so that is one downside. Other than that the blogging services are not the best; hence, you don’t have much to work with. It is also not the best for multilingual pages on top eCommerce sites.
You can subscribe to any of their plans for just $26 per year up to $266 for the more advanced subscription. It will cost extra for a domain name but if you have one you don’t need to purchase it.
- Received the highest score for features and customer satisfaction
- Sell across multiple channels, including Facebook, Instagram, Amazon, and eBay
- Brilliant inventory system to help you manage your store
- Content doesn’t automatically reformat when you switch themes
- Apps can quickly add up as you add extra features to your store
- The only platform to enforce its own transaction fee, unless you use Shopify Payments
It is a great eCommerce website maker for small businesses that want a great site but don’t have coding skills. It has dramatically enhanced its e-Commerce editor to give you more options for your online store.
Building the site is quite fast and straightforward since it is drag and drop. There are many themes on offer for free while some of them are paid you need to know what you want. On Weebly, you need to pay more attention to the initial theme that you choose. This is because while you can edit the layout, it only changes a few aspects, so for the more significant part, it will remain more or less the same.
It is an excellent option whether you are selling physical goods or services since there is enough provision for display and description. Unlike Shopify, you get more options in terms of shipping and payment at no extra cost, so your customers are all taken care of. Unfortunately, they don’t offer offline transaction options so it can only be a card or PayPal payments.
You get to upload several photos and videos of the same product. You get full customization apart from the layout, which is more complicated than other sites. Sharing to social media sites is easy since you get provision for that as well.
If you have an online store, then you should go for the business plan since it offers you more than what you get with the pro one. Pricing for the business subscription is only $25 a month, and it gives you a free domain and Adword credit up to $100. This gives you a lot to work with upfront and at a cheap cost.
- Cool customizable templates – all Weebly’s themes are simple, stylish, and mobile responsive, and you can even switch between them.
- Best website builder for small businesses, with all the basic tools you need to build a great business site, or even an online store.
- Really helpful SEO guides in Weebly’s help and support center, for advice on coding, keyword optimization, and tips on boosting your site’s ranking
- No personal restore option, so if your site goes down you’re totally reliant on the Weebly support team to restore your site for you.
- Drag-and-drop customization is limited – unless you’re confident with code (and feel comfortable using the Weebly Code Editor), you might find Weebly frustrating in its lack of creative freedom.
- No ADI option – Artifical Design Intelligence (ADI) is where a website builder uses information you provide to automatically create a site for you, saving you time. With Weebly, you have to create your site manually.
This is another great all-in-one option builder for your site, but it is more suitable for small to mid-sized stores. Everything about the site from the interface to the features offered is pretty simple and straightforward so that you can do it all yourself.
You get various templates to use, and since it is drag and drop, you can customize your site to fit your needs. You can choose any model, and the best part is that they are grouped so you can quickly find what you want. However, the options aren’t too many if you’re going to create a non-conventional site.
One of the unique features about Squarespace is the fact that you get to change the layout without using anything you’ve already added. You can try out this and many more features using the 14-day free trial that you get so you have a better idea whether it is suitable for you.
Since it is a fully-integrated builder, everything is provided, but there are a few downsides on this.
It has social media integration so your users can purchase any of the products without having to log into the site. A disadvantage is that it has minimal SEO tools, so if you want the better rating, the other builders provided in this list would be better.
They don’t have a limit for sales, but they do deduct 3% off every purchase which can be quite costly. However, 3% only applies when you choose the business plan, which is $18. Their basic idea is $26 without the extra charges so it would be the best option.
- Best quality features of any builder on the market
- Better value for money than other website builders, such as Wix
- Best quality templates in terms of design and flexibility
- Some users find the terminology confusing
- No app store means you’re reliant on its in-built features
- Can take some time to get used to
WooCommerce is a WordPress plugin, so if you would like to use it, you first need to get WordPress, which is mainly for content management. So you will use WP to build your site then install the WooCommerce plugin which gives you access to eCommerce services.
The WordPress builder doesn’t provide domain and hosting services so you will need to get these on your own. The great thing about the platform is that it gives you more options. WP has one some of the highest numbers of themes and layouts available, so your options are unlimited. However, it is not as easy, and you may need some help getting the best out of them, but it isn’t anything too significant.
For the store, the best thing to do is to get an excellent host since WP support is not the best. For that reason, you should use premium themes. These are easier to work with, especially if you have little to no experience. There are a few added costs with the platform, but it is nothing too huge.
WooCommerce is a free plugin you only have to pay for some extensions, and it will enable you to receive payment for what you offer. The great thing about using WP builder is that if you are interested in blogging about your products, it gives you everything you need.
- WordPress is free and gives you complete control of your website. You own and control all your website files and data. You are not tied to a web hosting company and can move your website anywhere you want.
- It gives you access to a huge collection of extensions, add-ons, and plugins to extend your website. This enormous access to professional applications allow you to make anything you want
- You are in charge of your website, so you can keep it simple and only add new features as your website grows. You can make your website super fast and use all the neat SEO best practices to bring new users.
- Super easy to customize with thousands of website designs and templates to choose from. Each of them comes with different customization options, allowing you to create truly unique websites. Simply put, it makes website building easy.
- Due to its popularity, almost all popular third-party tools already have integrations available for WordPress. So your email marketing software, lead generation tool, SEO tools, CRM software, and payment gateways will all work with WordPress.
- You are in charge of your website. This means you are also responsible for security, making backups, and installing updates. You can automate all these tasks, but they would still require your attention unless you’re using one of these managed WordPress hosting companies.
- WordPress does not come with a built-in drag and drop website builder. It takes some time for most beginners to get familiar with it and learn the basics. However you can use one of the popular drag and drop page builder plugins for WordPress.
- You do not need to learn coding to use WordPress. However, some basic knowledge of HTML and CSS will make things a lot easier. Most beginners acquire these basic skills as they use WordPress.
It is by far the most natural builder to work with since everything is provided for you and thanks to Wix ADI you can create a whole site by answering some questions. It enables you to give a few of the essential things for you and takes care of the rest.
Wix allows you to try it out for free so you get the experience of working in it without buying or subscribing to anything. It gives you a few free templates to get you started, which are image intensive, so they are great if you are particular about that. However, it is an excellent site for small and mid-size stores only.
You have provision to sell both physical and digital goods and services. You are free to use any payment options that you want at no extra cost. Additionally, there are no incurred fees on sales so you can maximize on that and in turn, impact your profits. Unfortunately, fast shipping is only available within the US using USPS so you may need a different option for your other clients.
The basic plan costs only $23 and offers you everything the VIP subscription does apart from the email marketing plan. When editing your site and you need something that isn’t provided, you can access the app market. Here you get additional features that you may need for your eCommerce site.
- Highest public recommendation of any website builder
- Great value for money and help features
- Highly intuitive and easy-to-use editor
- Can’t switch templates after your website goes live
- The sheer choice and amount of customizable options can be overwhelming
- May have to spend more on third party apps to scale your website
According to BigCommerce, their system guarantees you every single feature that you could need to create and manage your online store. To get a feel for it, they offer a 15-day trial plan where you get to sample almost all the features that they have for you.
They offer both paid and free templates to get you started. As usual, it is better to pay extra for a model since not only is it more intuitive; customization is easier for you. For each template, you are provided with a review of how it will look both for desktops and mobile devices.
If you would like to promote your site, it couldn’t be easier with BigCommerce since it has an inbuilt marketing option. Your shoppers also benefit from a secure cart when they shop and an easy way of paying for the goods. The platform also offers a few SEO tools to help you rank better on search engines.
Adding products is accessible on the site, and it is even more comfortable when you have variants which you can add as many as you want. You also have the option to sync your site to social media sites as well as Amazon, so you have unlimited options. In case you need some additional features, they provide several paid and free plugins for you to customize your site as you like.
One disadvantage is that they have an annual sales threshold, so if your sales exceed what is provided, your subscription is automatically upgraded. Also, their content creation platform isn’t the best, and you have limited options. However, it is an excellent platform for both large and small stores.
The basic plan costs about $30 monthly, and you get a 10% discount when you pay annually. You can also get a custom quote if you want their enterprise plan which gives you everything offered in the other options plus some additional one’s custom to your site.
- You can try the product free for 14 days
- There are no transaction fees, even if you use a third-party payment gateway.
- The overall feature set on entry-level Bigcommerce plans is comprehensive by comparison to competing products.
- You get a good set of reporting tools on all plans - again, this is not the case with all competing products.
- It comes with built-in product review functionality.
- It makes selling in multiple currencies straightforward (particularly if you’re using the ‘Stencil’ theme)
- Its SEO features are great - you can create short URLs, AMP format is available on all its templates, and automatic image optimisation is included on all plans.
- The 'abandoned cart saver' tool is more comprehensive than the similar offering from competitors.
- It’s harder than it should be to locate dropshipping apps in the app store.
- By comparison to some of its competitors, you have to pay quite a lot to avail of abandoned cart functionality.
- Limits are placed on annual online sales — and if you exceed them, you'll need to upgrade to a more expensive monthly plan.
- The themes are in some cases too similar to each other.
- The built-in blog doesn't facilitate RSS feeds.
- The mobile app needs improvements.
- VAT MOSS rates could be better catered for.
It is an open-source hosting, so if you want full control over your customization, then it is the best to have. Unfortunately, it doesn’t provide hosting, so you need to get your hosting service, as well as you, own domain.
While Magento provides you with a lot of options on how your site will turn out, it is quite complicated. You require a higher skill level to manage to create and operating your site; however, once you have the hang of it, it becomes more straightforward.
It is very little to no support provided by the platform, so if you encounter any issues, you don’t have too many options. There is no live chat available, and that is why you need to be keener on the hosting provider that you choose.
You may need the help of a designer if you want an excellent site. The good thing about it is that if you can get some professional advice, you can turn your site into practically anything you want. You have access to both free and paid templates with the paid ones being more comfortable to use and generally offer more.
This is probably not the best do-it-yourself builder to use, but it is excellent if you didn’t want to do everything yourself. It offers a good number of features for your store, such as payment and promotional options. It also has the capacity for both large and small businesses.
- It is flexible
- It has many features that other platforms lack
- It has a large community of users
- It is mobile friendly
- It’s scalable
- It’s expensive
- It has few developers
- It is time consuming
- Bad product support